- For the brown butter, heat the butter in a saucepan until it is light brown in colour, speckled black and with a nutty scent. This can take between 10 to 15 minutes.
Note that the butter will begin to foam and spit; stirring constantly prevents spitting.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted and then let it cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (regular oven).
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate (NB - If the chocolate is too warm the eggs will scramble), vanilla extract and salt to the egg mixture and mix through.
- Finally, add the self-raising flour and mix as briefly as possible, until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a 23 x 23 cm lined baking tin lined and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely before slicing the brownies.